NHS Complaints Support

Our user friendly guides

Resolving a concern informally

If you have an ongoing experience which is causing concern and you want this to be put right, it is usually best to contact the healthcare provider directly . Where the provider has one do this through their Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS). You can find more information about how to raise a concern with different services on our NHS services page

Making a complaint

If you cannot resolve your problem informally, or if the issue that you are concerned about has happened in the past but you feel that it was unacceptable, you can make a formal complaint to the service provider.

We can give you information to help you make the complaint yourself, or, where you need us to, we can write letters for you or attend meetings with you.

Making a complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman

If you are dissatisfied with the response provided by the NHS you can take your complaint to the Health Service Ombudsman. Healthwatch can support you to do this. We have a strong record in getting cases considered by the Ombudsman.

Complaints Advocacy Service

Independent, confidential advice and support with making complaints about NHS services.

Telephone on 024 7625 2011 Monday to Friday 9.30 - 4.00pm. Outside these hours you can leave a message on our answer machine.

or Email us