The Department Of Health together with organisations across adult social care and health care and including Healthwatch England, have worked to develop a shared commitment to improving adult social care. Healthwatch England have launched new toolkit to help councils, care staff and services work together to build a positive culture around complaints and the opportunities to learn from people's experiences.
The toolkit uses existing work from across the Healthwatch network to outline ways to:
- Build an understanding of how communities currently see the complaints process to inform where improvement is required.
- Ensure there is a ‘no wrong door’ approach applied when signposting complaints, meaning that whoever a member of the public speaks to when making a complaint, that organisations ensure it reaches the right place.
- Facilitate the regular sharing of information about complaints between local partners to ensure collective learning.
- Convene local complaints forums to bring together complaints managers with Healthwatch teams to review how cases have been handled and provide feedback on the process.
- Help commissioners to seek additional feedback from people about their experiences of services where concerns have been raised.