HM The Queen gave her speech at the State Opening of Parliament which highlights her new Government's priorities over the next Parliament. Key things of interest regarding the NHS and social care are:
- National Health Service's multi-year funding settlement, agreed in 2019, will be enshrined in law.
- Supporting the National Health Service's workforce with a new visa ensuring qualified doctors, nurses and health professionals have fast-track entry to the United Kingdom.
- Hospital car parking charges will be removed for those in greatest need.
- Ministers will seek cross-party consensus on proposals for long term reform of social care.
- The social care system will provide everyone with the dignity and security they deserve and that no one who needs care has to sell their home to pay for it.
- Continue work to reform the Mental Health Act.
- Introduce the entitlement to leave for unpaid carers.
- New laws which will require schools, police, councils and health authorities to work together to prevent serious crime.
- Prioritise investment in infrastructure and world-leading science research and skills, in order to unleash productivity and improve daily life for communities across the country giving communities more control over how investment is spent so that they can decide what is best for them.