What is NHS 111 First?
In December 2020 the NHS launched a new service called NHS 111 First designed to improve access to NHS care by providing one route to access the right care including access to A&E when needed.
Why did Healthwatch England do a survey?
Healthwatch England have published the results of a survey designed to get feedback from service users who have been using that service since December. Healthwatch England wanted to know:
- How aware people are NHS 111 First and are if they are likely to use it
- How satisfied service users were with the 111 First service they had received
- If service users felt they were getting the right help from 111 First
- How the service users felt 111 First could be improved.
What people told Healthwatch England about NHS 111 First
Awareness of the new service is low:
- 80% of our polling were not aware that NHS 111 could reserve time slots at GPs
- 73% were not aware they could reserve time slots at A&E.
This is important, as 60% of people who were previously unaware of the service told us that knowing this information made them more likely to call NHS 111 next time they had an urgent medical problem.