We are the independent local champion for Coventry people for health and social care services. People’s views come first – especially those who find it hardest to be heard.
We champion what matters to you and work with others to find solutions. We are independent from NHS and care services and committed to making the biggest difference for you.
What is our role?
We listen to what people think about NHS and social care services and influence the planning and delivery of NHS and social care services based on what local people tell us
People are at the heart of everything we do. Our staff and volunteers identify what matters the most to people by:
- Going out visiting places in the community and working with other organisations
- Running surveys and focus groups
- Visiting NHS and care services to see how they work
How we are run
Healthwatch Coventry is provided by Voluntary Action Coventry, a local Chairty.
Healthwatch Coventry has a Steering Group made up of individual local people and local voluntary organisations to set the strategy and direction of its work and to make sure that Healthwatch Coventry works well. Find out more.
Find our more about how Healthwatch Coventry is run, and who makes decisions by downloading our Governance, Involvement and Decision Making Policy (PDF document 165 KB)
Local Healthwatch has been set up around England by the Government, there are 151 of them. This means that there is legislation that gives Healthwatch powers to carry out their role. Healthwatch powers include the right to:
- request information from services and service planners
- visit NHS and adult social care services to see how they are being delivered and talk to people using them
- make recommendations for making services better and to get a response setting out what actions will be taken
- refer issues of concern to the Local Council Scrutiny Board of local councillors for further action
- have a seat on the local Health and Wellbeing Board to take the voices of local people to decision makers and strategies for improving health and wellbeing.
Healthwatch England is an independent arm of the Care Quality Commission. Healthwatch England advises the Department of Health about concerns raised by local Healthwatch and is able to request that the CQC carries out an investigation if it has evidence of poorly performing services. Local Healthwatch feed information to inform the work of Healthwatch England.