In October 2017 the Government commissioned an independent review of the Mental Health Act. The review makes recommendations for improvement in relation to rising detention rates and racial disparities in detention.
Today the Government has released its interim findings and recommendations on issues including:
- Addressing rising numbers of detentions under the Mental Health Act
- Decisions to detain under the Mental Health Act, and renewals
- Dignity, respect and autonomy of patients
- The role of family and carers
- Discharge and care after release
- Issues for specific community groups