Please select the frequently asked question about Healthwatch from the options below:
No, we're independent. We're here to represent your voice and we're completely separate from those providing the services, which means you can be completely honest about your opinions.
Healthwatch Coventry has a membership of people and groups who get information about Healthwatch work and have a say about what Healthwatch does. Members don't have to give any time or sit on a committee and can choose to get involved in pieces of Healthwatch work which interest them.
Membership is open to:
- people who live in Coventry or care for someone who lives in Coventry
- people who live outside Coventry but have a GP in Coventry
- individuals and voluntary and community groups
To become a member of Healthwatch Coventry, click here:
Your opinion and views are very important to us. Healthwatch works to make your voice heard. The Health and Social Care Act 2012 says local Healthwatch has a legal responsibility to report the views of the local community and that government has a responsibility to listen. This is crucial as it means Healthwatch has the power in law to influence local decision-making around health and social care.
There are several important differences:
We have a wider remit and are responsible for capturing the voice of both adults and children on health and social care (LINks only had a remit for health and adult social care)
- We have a place on the local Health and Wellbeing Board as a way to influence local decision-making around health and social care
- We can feed information to Healthwatch England who can take action at a national level if needed.
There are three key functions we would like the youth of Coventry to get involved in:
- Become a member - we want to offer you information on health and social updates in Coventry, keeping you updated on local provisions and changes in the NHS
- Become a volunteer - there are lots of pieces of work we need the help of volunteers. Our working group can provides the opportunity for you to work on specific issues related to NHS services.
- Be our 'eyes and ears' on health and social care services - we want you feedback on these services. We want to hear the opinions and experiences of the NHS in Coventry.
We know your time is precious. You can give as much or as little of your time as you want, but any time you can give will make a difference. You could simply take 5 minutes to share your views and encourage those around you to do the same. Or, if you have more time, you could consider volunteering for us. We’ll provide you with free training and support.
Our website is updated regularly, and we're also on social networking sites, you can 'follow' us on twitter on: @HealthwatchCov, or like our Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Healthwatch-Coventry/339711536150552
You can also become a member and receive our newsletter and briefings.
- Healthwatch England is the new national fully independent consumer champion for health and social care.
- The organisation has independent statutory powers to ensure the consumers’ voice is heard and best practice is delivered in health and social care nationally.
- These powers are stated in the Health and Social Care Act 2012.
- Healthwatch England also supports the development and implementation of local Healthwatch.
- The decision on the name of Healthwatch was made at a Ministerial level, at the inception of the White Paper.
- Healthwatch England has ensured its health and social care remit has been widely communicated and will continue to do so in all of its messages.
- Messages developed to support local Healthwatch have been specifically designed to raise awareness of its role in health AND social care and would expect that awareness to increase locally.